LYNX-DEV Lynx and bad html

From: Eli's redistribution point
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx and bad html
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 16:15 EST

The Universtiy of Virginia has some web pages with wonderful content
and terrible HTML. I have sent them a comment about this and I hope
something can be done about it. Two deranged cases they had which
did not work well in lynx, looked something like this:

------ one ------
<HTML>
<TITLE>thanks</TITLE>
<HR>
<H2>Thanks for replying.</H2>
<HR>
<A href="http://www.lib.virginia.edu/etext/ETC.html";>Return<A></HTML>
------ end ------

Apparently since the link is not in the body, Lynx won't select it.
Numbered links will happily follow it, though.

The next one is more sinister. This is their exact HTML save that I
have folded the lines at 75 columns. Considering the original document
is 12 lines and more than one megabyte, you should be happy I did so.

------ two ------
<HTML>
<head>
<!-- X-URL: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/browse-mixed-new?id=Cha2C
n&images=images/modeng&data=/lv1/Archive/mideng-parsed&tag=public -->
<BASE HREF="http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/browse-mixed-new?id=Cha2C
n&images=images/modeng&data=/lv1/Archive/mideng-parsed&tag=public">

<TITLE>The Canterbury tales : </TITLE>
</head>
<h1>The Canterbury tales : </h1>
<h2>Chaucer, Geoffrey, d. 1400</h2>
<hr>
r><br>creation of machine-readable version:  <br>Conversion to TEI-conforma
------ end ------

Line 12 continues for some 18,000 more of my folded lines. Lynx fails
to render any part of the rest of that line in any of strict, historical,
or minimal comment parsing. Yes this is deranged and wrong, but couldn't
there be some better recovery from such idiocy?

Incidentally, I will be probably put a fixed version of that page
somewhere on my system. In case anyone else here is interested in
the full Canterbury Tales in Chaucer's original English, drop by
<URL:http://www.netusa.net/~eli/notes/>. It is not there yet, as
the ":%s/\(<p>\|<br>\)/^M&^M/g" command is taking a *long* time.

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list

;
;