Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.htm

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:14:44 -0500 (EST)

  From: Andrew Garland <address@hidden>

  >  However, I *really* liked the line at the bottom of the old help page
  >  which said what the latest release was.  I am sure that the same info is
  >  available if I followed one of the new links, but I liked getting the
  >  information without having to explictly look around for it.
  >
  >I am not quite following your logic.

  I don't see any claims to logic in my mail.  All I mentioned was my
  particular preference.

Sorry about the peevish tone of my post.

  >A particular Help page
  >could refer to the version current when it was released, but you
  >can't expect a help page to be updated when that information is
  >superceded.

  Well, I don't really buy this explanation.  The main help page, which is
  the one I was referring to (note the subject line), has no particular
  information which gets outdated by later releases.

If you put a sentence in that says "The latest release is X" then
it does.

  Furthermore, comparing the effort to change a few ascii characters in
  one (or perhaps a handful) of web pages pales in comparison to the
  effort to actually produce a new release!  Whoecer maintains the
  kufacts.cc.ukans.edu version of lynx_help_main.html obviously agrees
  with me.

If everyone goes to a central site for Help references, then it
is easy to update the root Help page.  But you don't want
everyone dependent on the MotherSite for online H)elp.  The Help
pages should be installed locally.  This has been a big help to
sites like Henry Nelson's in Japan with a whole 58Kbaud total
from the university to the Internet.

Once the Help is properly distributed over all those sites, it
isn't practical to think that we are maintaining things like a
"latest" pointer buried in them.

That's why time-sensitive information concerning what release is
currently the latest belongs on another page which stays at one
site.

Maybe we are in flaming agreement, here.  The released help tree
could say "This Help is for version 2.7" and not be false when
that release is superceded.  I have no problem with that legend
appearing on the root Help file.

--
Al Gilman