MVS FTP interface (Was: Re: LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: MVS FTP interface (Was: Re: LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:51:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >>    ftp://epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov/
>       For what it's worth (not much, I must admit 8-), I used that as
> a test server to try to add MVS support when we were working on the
> CMS/VM support.  It appears to have everything the ftp gateway must
> deal with, somehow or other, for MVS.  I didn't succeed, and left
> MVS as "generic" to ensure a clean failure.

I've just run a trace to the above address, and it appears one
problem is the use of slashes.

  Tx: PWD
    Rx: 257 "'PUBLIC.'" is working directory.
  Tx: RETR /
    Rx: 501 Invalid data set name "/". Use MVS Dsname conventions.
  Tx: CWD /
    Rx: 501 A qualifier in "/" begins with  an invalid character

MVS has no concept of subdirectories (as we know them), and the
only "CWD" command that would apply would be to set the prefix.
However, I'm more familiar with the FTP client on that machine
than the server.

------

;
;