Re: LYNX-DEV Change in UPLOADER behaviour

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Change in UPLOADER behaviour
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:24:42 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>Thanks, Fote, that patch did make it work better.  There's still an
>interesting difference between the downloader menu and uploader menu.  When
>I'm done with a download, it stays on the downloader menu page, and I press
>left-arrow to get back.  When I'm done with an upload, it automatically goes
>back to the file maint screen.  I can't think of too many times where right
>after a download,

        The so-called 'd'ownload menu is not simply for downloading.
It is for passing a clean (unrendered, or otherwise manipulated) copy
(temporary file) of the resource to DOWNLOADER command strings or
scripts.  For example, one can view it with most, other spawned app,
then save it to disk (create a permanent local file), or invoke one of
the options for downloading to another system, etc.

>                       I'd want to do another download without selecting
>something different anyway, but I can see wanting to do several uploads in
>succession, so these two behaviours would seem to make more sense if they
>were swapped.  If the uploader menu stayed up, instead of returning to file
>maint page, it would save the "u" and positioning to the desired uploader
>line.  I took a quick look at the code, but not long enough to see how
>the downloader page was managing to stay.

        If you add that functionality for the 'u'pload menu, don't think
in terms of swapping and take it away from the 'd'ownload menu.

                                Fote