LYNX-DEV HP-UX and snake targets (was text/html; q=0.000)

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: LYNX-DEV HP-UX and snake targets (was text/html; q=0.000)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:57:28 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I don't have acces to a HP-UX system to check anything, but below is what
> I found in the comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ.  I'm afraid it doesn't help much.
>
>   Klaus
>

>    Linkname: comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: 8.8  What's the deal with _INCLUDE_xxxx_SOURCE?
>
> The ANSI standard clearly states what identifiers it reserves, and says the
> rest are available to you, the programmer.  Many "important things" like
> "ulong" are *not* specified by ANSI, so ANSI header files are not allowed by
> the standard to define them.  Each standard supported by HP-UX (POSIX1,
> POSIX2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, AES, etc) has its own set of reservedidentifiers
> and header files, and the convention is to require "-D_POSIX_SOURCE" (et al)
> to enabled their respective namespaces.  Since HP could not predict what
> future standards would come along and claim more header files and identifiers,
> it proved much simpler to make the namespace as restrictive as possible
> unless "-D_HPUX_SOURCE" is specified.  While this has turned into one the
> most frequently asked of FAQ's about HP-UX, at least once you learn this,
> you don't have to deal with inconsistencies again.  Whereas, had we allowed
> all non-standard headers to define all non-standard symbols, you'd find
> identifiers randomly "disappearing" from headers over time as they were
> claimed by various standards.
>
> Also check the man page for "cc -Ae"; it enables the the HPUX_SOURCE
> namespace.
>
> (Thanks to Marc Sabatella, HP)
>
> ------------------------------

You know, after you posted this, it got me to thinking about on of the
strange occurences that I have noted on the snake2 target.  According to
the Makefile, snake is for HP-UX < 9.01 and snake2 is for HP-UX >= 9.01.
Well, everytime I've built the snake2 target (starting somewhere in the
2.4FM codeset), I've gotten the following warnings on EVERY file:

/usr/include/sys/stdsyms.h:10: warning: `_INCLUDE_POSIX_SOURCE' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/include/sys/stdsyms.h:12: warning: `_INCLUDE_XOPEN_SOURCE' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/include/sys/stdsyms.h:13: warning: `_INCLUDE_AES_SOURCE' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/include/sys/stdsyms.h:14: warning: `_INCLUDE_HPUX_SOURCE' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

"Coincidentally", these happen to be the same symbols mentioned above.  I
decided to remove the definition for these symbols from the snake2 target
in the Makefile, and it produced no warnings and built a valid target.  I
was going to make a diff patch to this, and noticed that the modified
snake2 was identical to the snake target!  I tried building snake just to
be sure (this was on HP-UX 10.01), and all was fine.  Just to be
absolutely sure, I built snake on 9.03 and 9.07 (the 9.01 and 9.05
versions are no longer here).  This implies that a snake-slang target is
possible, and I'll try it later.

My question is WHY is there snake and snake2 targets, and why do the
descriptions say < 9.01, etc?  It possibly may be that an earlier version
of gcc did not define the proper symbols, and someone added the snake2
target thinking that it was the OS version causing the problem.  If there
is no longer a need for the snake2 targets, perhaps they can be combined
with the snake targets.  If there is still a need for them, then the
description needs to be changed to adequately reflect the needs.

Could someone else with HP-UX machines verify my results?  If snake does
not work properly for you, we need to discover the actual cause.