Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D

From: Michael Ritzert
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:42:08 +0100 (MET)

> > seriously.  It is a problem that affects everyone
>
> As someone who has to try and dig fixes out of MS
> sites where they put them undocumented and unannounced
> for their NT customers I can't believe I just heard that
>

> I'm not however 100% convinced Lynx is totally secure. It
> only takes on abusable subtle buffer overrun for someone
> to get unwelcome code running in a browser. Javascript and
> friends don't make things safer that is for sure, but the

Are You able to quote from the ongoing discussion of the present security
state/problems caused by java and by javascript? (see below)

> lack of them doesn't make it impossible.

I suggest that we should stop discussing the active X non-security stuff any
further in this group since it is off topic.  If someone likes to discuss
with me or any other of the contributors to this thread he/she should feel
free to use personal email.

To get on-topic again: i am fairly new to this group, running lynx 2.7 and
like  to know what is in the works for the new future.

Important for me are the following issues:

1. internalisation of menu/response messages (i'll probably
be able to contribute here because we plan to use a lynx with a german ui
in our institution)

2. some kind of java (kaffe?) support, maybe javascript too.

3. some kind of table rendering, like in emacs w3.

4. https support (i'd like to access https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/ with lynx)

5. faster toggling between rendered html and source display --- why does
   \ start a full reload and not a reload from lynx' local cache which should
   be fully sufficient?

Thanks for any summary or related help

Michael
;