LYNX-DEV Java & Javascript

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: LYNX-DEV Java & Javascript
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:52:03 -0500 (EST)

> > 2. some kind of java (kaffe?) support, maybe javascript too.
>
> I wonder if it would be better to investigate a technology for embedding
> safe languages in the page in an embedded generic object sense rather than
> focusing on Java and Javascript, which are frequently less useful to the
> lynx user because of the use for implementing features that are GUI in
> nature.  I know that's not _always_ the case, but it is more frequently
> the case.

"Javascript does not have any graphics capabilities, except for the
ability to format and display HTML..."

        _Javascript, the Definitive Guide_, O'Reilly & Assoc., 1997

My project to implement BarryScript (a pale, sickly version of Javascript,
suitable for further experimentation and maybe an MS) is plodding along at
a reasonable pace.  Whys and wherefores (if you missed them) are in the
archives.

> Is there a reasonable way that something like a stand alone applet viewer
> could be invoked (if defined) when lynx encounters a page containing Java
> applets?

When I asked this question, I was pointed to a port to OS/2.  Since I
ended up not going that route, I never checked out the reference.  It
should be in the archives as well.  If someone else has already done it,
then it's just a question of porting.

> How far down this path do we trod - support for plugins?

Not by me!

> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden

Barry Rountree
address@hidden