Re: LYNX-DEV FONT color tagging

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FONT color tagging
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:45:08 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Rob Partington wrote:

> I considered [implementing <FONT color=""> not style sheets]
> and rejected it because it was far too much trouble to
> implement correctly for little extra gain (no one uses <font color=""> in
> a sensible manner - at least, not that i've seen so far.  if I want to
> suffer bad design, then I'll use netscape).
>
> How do you map the hex codes to ncurses/slang colours?  afaik you only have
> 8 colours to play with (you lose the bright ones if you use Klaus's unicode
> patches iirc.  Klaus?), so the effort mapping the hex to real colours seems
> to be a lot of effort for little actual gain.

That (the parentheses in the last paragraph) is not in general true;  it
happens in Linux with the console if you use a screen font with 512 glyphs
instead of the usual 256.  That is used for some languages (well, actually
I only know of the Ethiopic script) where the number of characters needed
is in that range. (I have not idea how terminal support for Chinese/Japanese/
Korean etc. works.)  The Linux kernel can load such fonts into the VGA
card, but the bit normally used for flagging highlighting is then used
for selecting between the lower and upper half of the codes.  THat is my
understanding, Alan probably knows more about this.
You totally lose yellow, since that becomes its non-highlighted equivalent
brown...

  Klaus

;
;