Re: LYNX-DEV bugs

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bugs
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:02:27 -0500 (EST)

RJTAYLOR <address@hidden> wrote:
>       Hi! I have a problem downloading over 99999 number of bytes in lynx
>       2.4. When I download a few pictures and/or wav's over a certain number
>       of bytes, it crashes. I hope you can tell me either how to fix this or
>       where to find a bugless upgrade of lynx 2.7. Thanks for your time and
>       efforts.

        All versions of Lynx prior to v2.7 would inappropriately invoke
the screen output indicating a crash when a forced exit occurred due
to memory exhaustion, leading to reports such as yours.  Lynx v2.7 should
give you the correct reason for the exit.

        More importantly, all versions of Lynx prior to v2.7 attempted
to trim the memory cache for rendered documents by using realloc() in
a manner which on most systems had the opposite effect of increasing
the allocated memory, plus poking "black holes" in it such that it
could not, in fact, be recovered when the document was "uncached" to
recover it's allocated memory.

        So you would be wise to update to v2.7, so that you get correct
messages about memory exhaustion, and to greatly reduce the likelihood
that you experience memory exhaustion when retrieving and rendering
large documents.

        Be sure to get the 27bugfixes.zip replacement file set in:

        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/

so that you don't "rediscover" several bugs in the 1997-02-15 v2.7
release which already have been discovered and fixed.

                                Fote