Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx version 2.7 compilation problem (SCO Unix)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx version 2.7 compilation problem (SCO Unix)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 18:21:13 -0500 (EST)

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> >it's in my configure script (I'd thought that was for VMS, which has
>> >no unlink(), but it should work for *NIX systems as well.
>>
>>      The objective, at least during the years when I was coordinating
>> Lynx development, has been to use platform-independent, portable C code
>> as consistently as possible.  remove() was long ago designated as the
>> portable function name, so Lynx uses that instead of the Unix unlink()
>> or VMS delete().   Similarly, Lynx uses strchr() instead of index(),
>> memcpy() instead of bcopy(), memset() instead of bzero(), etc., etc.
>>
>>      That's why, aside from memory requirements, and the TCPIP and file
>> system issues, it in theory should be able to compile and actually work on
>> non-Unix PC systems.
>you'd save some time if you actually read my proposed change.  The configure
       ??????????????

>script checks if 'remove' is found in the library, and if not, #define's
>it to 'unlink'.                                                |||||||||

        I took the time to address your stated assumption that remove()
was used "for VMS, which has no unlink()", and to review the design
principles of the past several years, as general information for future
developers.

        Several recent messages have reiterated that simply #define'ing
remove to unlink will not solve the problem for old SCO Unix systems
(or new ones which perhaps have old headers unreplaced).  Nothing short
of physically replacing remove() calls with unlink() calls appeared to
work in that particular case.  Otherwise, they still get the error
message about "__UNLINK", which is an external symbol, not in the
Lynx code.

                                Fote