Re: Some issues (was:Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about)

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: Some issues (was:Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying about)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:10:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> >    > 3. some kind of table rendering, like in emacs w3.
> >
> >    I am not familar with what type of table rendering is done there.  Can
> > you
> >    describe it for us?
> >
> > It simply formats tables as good as possible with fixed size fonts,
> > instead of intelligently ignoring these tags.
>
> But lynx doesn't ignore the table tags - it formats tables as well as it can
> given that it has fixed sized fonts.

w3 formats the tables and aligns columns and rows (and draws boxes in some
cases).  Lynx tends to ignore them, so:

A      B      C
12.34  56.78  90

in Lynx usually looks like

A B C
12.34 56.78 90

(and when the table entries use <BR> and other tags it gets worse).

FYI, the 3.x beta of w3 has proxy entries, and setting https proxy for
lynx for my lynx SSL proxy will also make it work with w3 (but you must
have a trailing /, i.e. "https://x.y.z/";, not just "https://x.y.z"; - as
would work lin Lynx).

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key