Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:53:36 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, root wrote:

> Would that be saving cookies?

I also think that something needs to be done so that cookies can be
accepted from all domains by default.  I agree with Fote that it should
probably not be a system-wide setting in the lynx.cfg, otherwise less
scupulous sysadmins might set it so that the users were not aware of the
security issues involved.  I, on the other hand, are not paranoid about
such things, and would rather have them all accepted by default.  Lynx
provides means to examine and delete them at will, so that is plenty for
me.  I think a .lynxrc setting should be provided to totally disable
cookies, accept all the time, or prompt as it does now with prompt being
the default.  The only problem I could see is that if some sysadmin REALLY
wanted to circumvent it, he could create the .lynxrc's with the setting
enabled for always accept...  I suppose that such a person would find
other ways of abusing it, though...  Anyway, if this is implemented, I
suppose it would only affect unknown domains and that domains already set
as never, prompt, or always would still do what they were set to.  This to
me would seem to turn complete control over to the user where cookies are
concerned...

On a different note, but still related to changes in the source, might it
be possible to determine a list of what systems support the NSL_FORK
define, and put it in as a default for those systems?  I suppose this
would have to be SOMEHOW integrated in with the autoconfig stuff in the
future?

I HAVE been thinking about Lynx even though I haven't had time to DO
anything about it. :(