Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:57:08 -0800

If I haven't misunderstood Nelson Henry Eric, I think I am echoing him:
I think we should define 2.8 as the re-integration of the various branch
versions, and 3.0 as the target for new/future work.  Particular items
could move from 3.0 to 2.8 (or 2.9), as they get completed.  The list
below is based on my impression of which pieces are ready to be
integrated, or close to ready + under active development.  Currently, it
seems like 2.8 could integrate:

  Porting changes:
    Win32
    DJGPP
    Autoconf
    (NSL_FORK to be enabled where possible, by autoconf)

  Language improvements:
    Klaus's universal character set work
    Non-english message sets from anyone who cares to contribute them
    Messages moved out of #defines to message catalogues (I think
      someone mentioned they had this working)

  Presentation improvements:
    Rob's colors/styles [which, BTW, support slang, ncurses, and SVR4 curses]
    (David Trueman?)  O)ptions page as an internally-handled form

  Infrastructure improvements:
    (Hiram Lester?) WWWLib 5 (??? if it's really ready)

  Standards improvements:
    Likely continuing stream of standardization improvements from Fote

Items to be held for later would include:

  "real" table viewing (maybe easier with WWWLib 5 baseline??)
  sideways scrolling
  cookies persisting across sessions
  onscreen representation of frames?

Again the criteria for "2.8" vs. "3.0" are basically: does the code
already exist?  If it exists, we integrate it.  If it doesn't, someone
has to write it before it can show up in a version...

Who of the major patch contributors already has your patch fully
integrated with 2.7+bugfixes?  Whoever you are, let's declare that as
the next develop-from version.  Then the next major patch contributor
can use that as baseline to integrate their patch, and pass it on to the
next, etc., until they are all integrated.  The resulting code set will
be buggy and experimental; call it 2.8-alpha, distribute it to the
experimenters on this list, and let the testing begin.

>Bela<
;
;