Re: WWWLib 5 in LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: WWWLib 5 in LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:21:30 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > One project that I've been meaning to do is to convert the filenames to
> > the 8.3 convention (at least in the WWWLib) to make the job of integrating
> > WWWLib 5 into the code a little easier.  Has Mr. Dickey (sorry, brain
> > isn't working, and I can't remember your first name) taken a look at the
> > autoconfigure script for WWWLib 5 and see if anything can be done to it to
> > remove its dependence on GNU Make?
> I've not looked at it - where should I look?

WWWLib is on W3C's site: www.w3.org

You can get there by following the link in Lynx's help files, or from the
index page if you haven't changed it from the default at uiuc.

On of the major problems with WWWLib 5 (other than the fact that some
existing stuff in Lynx's WWWLib would have to either be re-incorporated
into the new code or adapted to the new code's way of doing things) is
that it relies on GNU Make.  This would be fine for Linux and *BSD boxes,
but most other platforms would be required to acquire GNU Make to build a
Lynx built with WWWLib 5... :(

Klaus has done some work on incorporating WWWLib 5 into an earlier version
of lynx (2-5FM?), so some of that may still be useful.  All I did was pull
down the source and see if I could compile it on HP-UX's make. (I
couldn't)

Since you seem to be our resident autoconf expert :) I thought I'd mention
it.