Re: LYNX-DEV HotWired uses old lynxen as example of privacy violations

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HotWired uses old lynxen as example of privacy violations
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:02:53 -0800

> Oh dear.  They haven't seen www.digicrime.com

Yes, good.  Also, go to guy's page (mccurley), for all kind of
things, eg:

                 The Irritating Text Markup Language (ITML)

   The sign of things to come!

                                  Now with
                                and [INLINE]
                           Depressing, isn't it?

   There are many extensions to the basic HyperText Markup Language
   (HTML), including the [1]The Mind Reading Markup Language (MRML) and
   [2]The Real Aroma Text Markup Language (RATML). In response to recent
   trends on the web, I am proposing that we introduce a new extension of
   HTML, called the Irritating Text Markup Language (ITML). This will
   include the following extensions:
     * <MOVING SPEED=n>, where n represents a speed at which text should
       move. Setting n=0 gives static boring text, and setting n=255
       makes the text completely unreadable without a strobe light.
     * <ADVERTISING>, used to represent text that nobody will read.
     * <LIES PLAUSIBILITY=n>, where n indicates a plausibility reading.
       n=255 means scientific content, whereas n=0 means marketing
       content.
     * <IMAGECONTENT COVERAGE=n>, where n is a level between 0 and 255.
       n=0 corresponds to scientific content, whereas n=255 will cause
       every letter to be converted to a GIF so that every possible font
       can be rendered.
     * <DRIVEL>, used to enclose text consisting of random thoughts. This
       can be used in place of the <HTML> symbol.
     * <INCOMPATIBLE VENDOR=RJR>, to denote text that should only be
       rendered correctly on the browser of a given vendor specified by
       RJR. For added fun, RJR can take the value RANDOM in order to make
       it behave differently every time.
     * <UNREADABLE EFFORT=n>, to denote text whose color is chosen so as
       to make it unreadable. In addition, the tag SHRINK can be used to
       render text too small to read.

   The origins of the ITML started with the addition of the <FONT>,
   <MARQUEE>, and <BLINK> extensions to standard HTML. We are just
   carrying it a little bit further in the same direction.