Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:57:24 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> 2) Table support.  A tree-based parser with error recovery, instead of
>    a heuristic parser, will be better able to deal with tables or any
>    other new "feature" that the browser vendors throw (up) at us.  I
>    know empirically that such a parser can be written that will deal
>    with *most* HTML.  We could keep the old parser as a fall-back in
>    the case of really crappy HTML.
>
> Any comments on this?
>
> I can help a lot with the planning of the parser, and bits of the
> coding, but I'm not sure y'all want me actually writing the code.  I'm
> very good at SGML (I do it for a living), and would love to help, but
> I'm a little weak on the C thing still.

I have a very good awk script (www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp as lxtabX.Y.tgz)
which parses tables properly (and one version can preprocess for Lynx).

The problem is that Lynx seems to use a stream based rendering, and you
don't know the correct width of the columns until you get to the last row.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;