Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:51:08 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> P.S.  I find it so interesting that the current participants are so
> anxious to add all this code, whenlast years folk were concerned about
> the huge size of lynx.  It surely would be nice if somehow the two
> groups could be reconciled and lynx turned into a suite of programs
> rather than a monolitic one.

I agree.  Netscape would be a much better browser if I could get it
without all the add-ons.  A 6 meg DL just toi get a browser is stupid.
Anyway, we might want to follow the idea of plugins or something similar.

ie, there's the core browser with basic table support.  Then, mail is
available either as your favourite mailer/editor (is this feasible?) or
you can get a modules which makes use of the line editor..I seem to remember
we can't do this with news as there are too many programs.

Then, if you wanted fancy tables and frames support, you go to a
repository and get a set of modules that lynx will look for in a specific
place, or in a place specified on the command line..etc

Am I making sense?

Duncan Hill