Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx -Reply

From: David Godshall
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx -Reply
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:03:00 -0600

 | or the result.  Also, aren't 16 bit Windows integers 16 bit and
 | all 32 bit code's integers 32 bit?  That is a bummer.

Officially, the size of "int" in undefined and can be either 16-bit
or 32-bit, depending on what size is most efficient for that
particular platform, so by default DOS/Windows compilers normally use
16-bit integers.  The "proper" (i.e. portable) way to handle this is
to make sure any integers that need to be longer than 16 bits are
explicitly defined as "long int", which would produce 32-bit integers
no matter what platform.  Of course, with code the size of Lynx, if
that practice wasn't followed from the start, it would be difficult
to go back and replace every "int" specification with "long int".

Most compilers that I've run into that default to 16-bit integers
have an option to force all "int" integers to 32-bit.  This would of
course be slightly less efficient than "long int'ing" only the
integers that need to be 32-bit, but should work.

David Godshall, Network Manager
Hesston College, address@hidden
;
;