Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:37:49 -0500 (EST)

1.  I want to second what Larry said that we need a Web Page
somewhere that lists the topics in work, and rough expectations
about the order of integration.  I might nominate Henry to keep
that page, but that's just one idea.  Repeating the topics list
in email posts is not stable enough to do this job well.

2.  I also seem to sense general agreement that Wayne's version
is the first step on the next growth spurt.  This doesn't mean
that he is "the integrator."  It does mean that people should
test his version and he should maintain it.

3.  As to what gets integrated next, I don't see a clear answer.
If I had to guess it would be styles _a la_ RP or Configure.  But
I may be missing key considerations.  Whatever is selected to be
integrated next should be integrated against Wayne's version (if
I have it right in 2. above).  Probably the developer of the
function being added is the integrator.  The person that
integrated the previous function (Win32 at the moment) is a key
reviewer.  The list is the test team.

Just for concreteness, suppose for the moment that Styles is
next.  Wayne's version is already available; he shifts gears to
where he inserts bug-fixes-only in it as bugs are discovered.
Rob would then upgrade his mods to Wayne's current bug-fixed
version, and Wayne would then pass the "current development
basis" baton to Rob.  Everybody starts beating on Rob's version
and someone else is selected for "next integrated."  The "next
integrated" activity integrates against Rob's while Rob
integrates bug-fixes for bugs turned up in testing.

To proceed in this way, we need to

        -- confirm or deny the conclusion in 2. that Wayne's is
        the point to continue from

        -- confirm or deny that we should have a living-document
        web page summarizing integration status and plans

        -- solicit "who wants to go next" and identify the
        next-integrated function.

--
Al Gilman

;