Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:47:07 +0900 (JST)

> Just for concreteness, suppose for the moment that Styles is
> next.  Wayne's version is already available; he shifts gears to
> where he inserts bug-fixes-only in it as bugs are discovered.
> Rob would then upgrade his mods to Wayne's current bug-fixed
> version, and Wayne would then pass the "current development
> basis" baton to Rob.  Everybody starts beating on Rob's version
> and someone else is selected for "next integrated."  The "next
> integrated" activity integrates against Rob's while Rob
> integrates bug-fixes for bugs turned up in testing.

At the present, I think this is the most workable process.  Perhaps
Klaus should go next, though, before Rob, since he already has his
mods available for downloading.  Someone with the hardware and a
little knowhow needs to help Klaus by incorporating his work into
the set (Wayne's), (g)zipping it up and offering it for download.

Klaus has told us it's going to be a bumpy ride, so hang on all!

>       -- confirm or deny the conclusion in 2. that Wayne's is
>       the point to continue from

IMHO, that's confirmed.

>       -- confirm or deny that we should have a living-document
>       web page summarizing integration status and plans

Status should be zipped into the distribution.  Plans (not dreams)
might be worth documenting, but they are archived on this list already.

>       -- solicit "who wants to go next" and identify the
>       next-integrated function.

- No solicitors -  I see that sign on a lot of front porches.  When
the next worthwhile function is produced and exists, then let the
yelping on the list decide if it's plus or minus to Lynx.  If it's
plus, give it a try.

__Henry
;
;