Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0 (process)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:24:47 -0700

Al Gilman <address@hidden> writes:

>1.  I want to second what Larry said that we need a Web Page
>somewhere that lists the topics in work, and rough expectations
>about the order of integration.  I might nominate Henry to keep
>that page, but that's just one idea.  Repeating the topics list
>in email posts is not stable enough to do this job well.

I agree here. I can't offer to maintain such a page as I sometimes
get too caught up in work for days at a time to get to "hobby" stuff
and it needs more immediacy than that. I guess I could host it, if
someone was willing to maintain it, but didn't have web space.

Henry, do you want to do this since Al has nominated you?

>2.  I also seem to sense general agreement that Wayne's version
>is the first step on the next growth spurt.  This doesn't mean
>that he is "the integrator."  It does mean that people should
>test his version and he should maintain it.

I agree.

>3.  As to what gets integrated next, I don't see a clear answer.
[snip]
>Probably the developer of the
>function being added is the integrator.  The person that
>integrated the previous function (Win32 at the moment) is a key
>reviewer.  The list is the test team.

Agreed, but I think the autoconf was ready now and maybe that should
be next to be integrated. Mssrs Spaff and Dickey (sorry for forgetting
the first names guys. I hope I at least spelled 'em right) would have
to decide which of them should be the integrator, but then they seem
to be working together well already. Either Klaus or Rob could go next
for integration.

>Just for concreteness, suppose for the moment that Styles is
>next.  Wayne's version is already available; he shifts gears to
>where he inserts bug-fixes-only in it as bugs are discovered.
>Rob would then upgrade his mods to Wayne's current bug-fixed
>version, and Wayne would then pass the "current development
>basis" baton to Rob.  Everybody starts beating on Rob's version
>and someone else is selected for "next integrated."  The "next
>integrated" activity integrates against Rob's while Rob
>integrates bug-fixes for bugs turned up in testing.

Agreed subject to my notes on #3 above.

Wayne, if you are ready for lynx 2.7-dev_a, and you want, I can
host a copy here for both HTTP and FTP download. Just point me
at a full fileset (.zip, .tar.Z, .tar.gz, .lhz, whatever) and tell
me to go for it, and I'll set it up here. Then when whoever goes
next is ready, I can repeat for lynx 2.7-dev_b and so on. (or should
it be lynx2-7dev1 and lynx2-7dev2? They are shorter.)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,