Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 23:58:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> I didn't make any mods to HTParse.c.  The only thing I did was to patch it
> with Fote's mods using a DOS patch program just like I did with all the
> other files Fote modified.  So if that is the only file that trips you up
> I don't think it was introduced by me.

Ok, I found the problem.  Apparently HP's cc is pickier about CR/LF's than
gcc, and you MUST unzip it with the -a parameter to convert then to unix.
I still found one trip up even after this.  I was getting a warning about
line 24 of HTUtils.h having garbage at the end, and when I looked at it,
it was:

#endif /* _WINDOWS */#endif

I did a cursory inspection and didn't see a matching #if, so I deleted the
#endif after the comment.  I have the think building right now, and we'll
see if it works.

If your dos-based compiler and Borland 4.52 don't have problems with
unix-style line terminators, perhaps you should use InfoZip's Zip program
and put the files back into unix format as you zip them back up (with -l
or -ll).  Either that or zip it on the PC, then unzip and rezip on a unix
box.

> By the way, why do they call it snake?

I have no earthly...

BTW, I just tried the completed snake3 with my Makefile patch applied and
the end of line translations and the removed endif, and all worked well.
Just to safety test again, I built a snake version, and it works fine as
well.