Re: LYNX-DEV BSD/OS bug report 004097

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV BSD/OS bug report 004097
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:44:14 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Keith Bostic wrote:

> We recently received the following bug report based on Lynx
> 2.4.2 BETA which we included in release 2.1 of BSD/OS, and
> thought that it might be of interest to you.
>
> Thanks!
> --keith
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Subject: Re: Lynx that comes with BSDI 2.1 [BSDI-Support-Request #29488]
> From: Steven Hinkle <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:04:57 -0500
>
> Jim Hribnak writes:
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Steven Hinkle wrote:
> > Jim Hribnak writes:
> >>
> >> G1072
> >>
> >> Does this only occur with the above site or with any ftp connection?  I
> >> just tried to use it to connect to ftp.bsdi.com and I was able to download
> >> and save a file to disk.
> >
> > Save to disk works fine.. Its only when doing a ZMODEM download.. I fixed
> > it and I will send you what I needed to do to get it working..
> >
> > There seems to be a BUG with the lynx that ships with BSDI 2.1 (and even
> > newer Lynx versions have the same problem)  Here is what I put in my
> > /usr/contrib/lib/lynx/lynx.cfg file for the DOWNLOADER directive
> >
> > DOWNLOADER:Use Zmodem to download to the local client:tmpfile=%s ;
> > szfile=%s ; mv $tmpfile $szfile ; sz $szfile ; rm $szfile:FALSE
> >
> > The above must be done on ONE line.  What it does is when there is 2 %s
> > vaiables (the 1st is the Lxxxxx.html file name, the 2nd %s will be
> > substituted with the ACTUAL file name of the file)  but having just an sz
> > %s %s would not work so the above was devisedm it creates tmpfile with the
> > Lxxxx.html name in /tmp then moves the file name to %szfile then downloads
> > sz file and removes it..  Took me about 3 hours last night to get it
> > working...
> >
> > Incase it happens again you have an answer :)  Not sure if its a problem
> > with the Lynx thjat ships with 3.0 as I have not gotten mine yet.

Yes, this is the way the dowloader lines work.  Several solutions similar
to the above have been proposed and it's been proposed to put one of them
in the lynx.cfg and explain it.  DOWNLOADER and PRINTER definitions must
all be on one line.  I'm not sure if it is in the lynx.cfg for 2.4.2 BETA
as that is an extremely old version, but it is definitely in the lynx.cfg
for 2.7:

#  You must put the whole definition on one line.

The current release (2.7) can be found at http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/
and general info about Lynx can be found at http://lynx.browser.org/

Happy Surfing!