Re: LYNX-DEV Bug Report: complex URL thru firewall

From: Glenn E. Thobe
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug Report: complex URL thru firewall
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 13:11:20 -0800 (PST)

This is a followup to my own bug report.

Recall I was having difficulty accessing articles on the
Boston Globe web site http://www.boston.com/globe/text/texthome.htm
when going through a firewall.  I did some more experiments and found
I could "click" on an HREF and rarely the article would actually appear,
although usually what would show up instead was the following (interpreted):

    <head>
    <title>WAIS Document Retrieval</title>
    </head>
    <pre>

    </pre>

This time after one or two ^R's (RELOAD) I would see the article.
Thus the behavior is not repeatable so making a detailed inventory
of the conditions under which failure occurs is futile.  I think
one cannot even infer with certainty that the problem lies within
Lynx.

BTW, I used -trace and the trace file contained a huge proportion of
nulls (e.g. 105632 out of 185107).

-Glenn Thobe <address@hidden>

> Dear Lynx developers-

> I would like to report a Lynx bug.  It occurs only when with a certain type
> of URL when accessed via a proxy Web server from behind a firewall.  The
> error does not occur when Lynx is run from a host with full Internet access.

> The following invocation of Lynx from the shell command line works correctly:

>     $ lynx
> 'http://search.boston.com/globe/nat/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=5541725109+3+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve'

> However, the same URL fails in context as a hypertext link in an HTML
> document.  When I "click" on the HREF in an HTML document, I get only
> an almost blank page with the title "WAIS Document Retrieval".
[...]

;
;