Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 20:14:14 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
> >
> > > Another thing needed is to force some charset to be the default for
> > > unamarked pages - possibly from the Options menu too..
> >
> > Read the README.chartrans file, about the new -assume_... coomand line
> > flags.
> > Don't they do what you want?
>
> Yes, but I'd like to change this from within Lynx..

I am not particularly eager to claim space on the limited real estate of
the Options screen. (until someone rewrites the whole thing...)
Especially for a "feature" that is only needed to accomodate careless (or
ignorant) content providers and bad precedents, and will ideally go away
soon. (we can hope...)

Note that I don't actually use my own code... There just aren't many
non-ISO-8859-1 pages I {want to,am able to} read.  So maybe you should
explain to me how you use the code.  With some real examples.  Maybe then
I can better understand why the toggling that the '@' key provides,
together with -assume_charset, is not enough.

(I am not even sure that the '@' key, together with the new
-assume_charset etc. options, work.  I am sure there are situations were
they don't.  More feedback requested.  I also don't know whether I have
messed up the CJK charset handling.)

  Klaus

;
;