Re: LYNX-DEV Mime name of Windows-1252

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Mime name of Windows-1252
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 19:29:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, [KOI8-R] áÎÄÒÅÊ þÅÒÎÏ× wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
>
> > Looking at the Windows CP 1252 table in Klaus' charset patches, I found
> > that the MIME name of Windows-1252 is iso-8859-1-windows-3.1-latin-1. I
> > thought that windows code pages are registered at IANA as Windows-12xx,
> > and the internationalization modules to Apache httpd mark it this way,
> > too (http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/ for example). Perhaps both
> > iso-8859-1-windows-3.1-latin-1 and Windows-1252 are registered, so we
> > should make an alias?
>
> You can always find recent registered charsets list at
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets
>
> windows-1252 is _not_ there (only windows-1250,51,53,etc are there)
> iso-8859-1-windows-3.1-latin-1 is _not_ there too.

Umm it *is* there, as follows:

Name: ISO-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1                           [HP-PCL5]
MIBenum: 2001
Source: Extended ISO 8859-1 Latin-1 for Windows 3.1.
        PCL Symbol Set id: 19U
Alias: csWindows31Latin1

That is where I got the name, I didn't invent such a monstrosity on my own :)

Now I don't know whether that one is really meant to represent exactly the
same charset which we mean.  But if MicroSoft cannot properly register
their most popular charset, who am I to second-guess them?

Btw., Andrey, it was a revelation when I discovered that KOI8-R gives
somewhat readable results even on an ASCII display by just stipping the
high bit..  So I put that cheap "translation" from KOI8-R --> (some
display character sets) in the chartrans code.  If you have some better
transliteration scheme, please contribute it.

   Klaus

;
;