Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:24:12 +0900 (JST)

> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 20:14:14 -0600 (CST)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
[...]
> they don't.  More feedback requested.  I also don't know whether I have
> messed up the CJK charset handling.)

There are no adverse effects to CJK that I notice with looking at a few
pages.  I'll try to make the time to exercise it more.  BTW, my settings
are the following, if it makes any difference:
     display (C)haracter set      : Japanese (EUC)
     Raw 8-bit or CJK m(O)de      : ON
     preferred document lan(G)uage: ja,en
     preferred document c(H)arset : ISO-2022-JP.
Can you give me instructions for doing more rigorous testing?

I also want to congratulate and thank Klaus, Wayne and Scott for making
such a good cooperative production.  The download of lynx-2.7wb+ct-0.3.zip
from http://144.35.10.96/lynx/klaus/merged/WB+chartrans/ went VERY smoothly.
The compile went very well.  Since there are a few dummies like me on the
list, be sure everyone to read README.chartrans and the other new docs.  To
quote:
    NOTE that in the top-level Makefile, the -DEXP_CHARTRANS must be
    in *both* SITE_DEFS *and* SITE_LYDEFS.

It may get out of hand if every code contributor sticks in his own set of
supporting documentation.  First, let me say, though, I was very happy to
see that Klaus put in the historical documentation for his modifications.
Eventually, though, I think lynx-dev will want CHANGES renamed to CHANGES2-7,
and either an addition to the CHANGES series or a start of a whole new
concept of record keeping.  I realize CHANGES.chartrans is the beginning of
that, but it needs to be integrated, not just chartrans specific.  Better
use of the docs directory might be in order.  If nothing else, move the old
CHANGES2* to a subdirectory of docs, and point people there from the newest
CHANGES file (or its replacement) in the top-level directory.  Documentation
to specific modifications could also be filed into individual subdirectories
of docs.

I'm not the one who originally asked, but do we really need inews in the
distribution?  Could the utils/inews be spun off to lynx.browser.org or
some other site?

Klaus, I noticed the `/* The strange-looking comm ... _VERSION "2.7wb+ct-0.3"'
in userdefs.h and thought it was a great idea, nothing to ignore by any means!

__Henry
;
;