Re: LYNX-DEV External filters (was: converting Pine addressbook to html)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV External filters (was: converting Pine addressbook to html)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 06:31:36 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> I tried your idea, Jim, for reading mail with a lynxcgi, but all I
> got by pressing return on a link on the front end page was a flicker
> on the screen.  (Flashes the WWW_WAIT_MESSAGE "Getting %s".)  Any
> diagnosis?
> > must have LYNXCGI_LINKS defined in userdefs.h.
> Done.
> [...]
> <li><a href="lynxcgi://home/kyoin/nelsonhe/.cgi/readmail.sh?test_m">
>         Test (using babymail)</a>
> Pretty much used your sample as is with modifications in the path for my
> system.  It seems to be reading the script okay.  The file `test_m' does
> exist in the directory defined in readmail.sh.  (I tested the script by
> putting `sleep 5' in it, and I did indeed get a pause.  During the pause,
> it says `Read xx bytes of data.')

I hacked around a bit before I got it to work.  I ignored the lines in the
lynx.cfg file about TRUSTED_LYNXCGI and LYNXCGI_ENVIRONMENT.  I also
found that the first line of the readmail.sh script had to be a valid
magic entry like "#!/bin/sh".  The script will work standalone without
it, but not through Lynx.  The symptoms of non-execution are similar to
what you describe.

If this doesn't help, drop me a line.

;
;