Re: LYNX-DEV Idea/Question

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Idea/Question
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:41:50 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, root wrote:

> Question:  Do the chartrans patches grock MIME charset headings in news: URLs?

No, they currently don't.

Content-Type headers (and therefore, charset parameters) are currently
ingnored in the HTNews.c code, so all news articles are treated as an
unlabelled HTTP document would be.

I don't know whether changing that would be a good idea;  the last time I
checked I found that there were *many* news articles with improper charset
values in the headers, so articles may actually become less readable
rather than more readable.

The only language-specific thing I find in HTNews.c is that some *headers*
(Subject, Organization, From, Reply-To) are decoded if they contain text
in the RFC 2047 format (=?ISO-8859-5?Q?.....?=) - and that is done only
for Japanese.  I could extend that to other charsets, That could give more
readable article listings in some groups..

  Klaus

;
;