Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 00:43:18 -0700

Mike Brown <address@hidden> writes:

>OK, taking into consideration the feedback so far, there is interest in
>making the 'lynx -help' output fit within a 24x80 screen, with a less
>obvious command-line option to bring up the full list.  I agree with this
>idea.  Here is a draft of what I think the one-screen page should be. It
>starts with the 'lynx -version' output.  Comments/suggestions welcome.
>
>Lynx Version 2.7
>(c)1997 GNU General Public License
><URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>
>
>Lynx is a fully-featured World Wide Web (WWW) client for users running
>cursor-addressable, character-cell display devices (e.g., vt100 terminals
>or emulators, or any other "curses-oriented" displays).
>
>USAGE:  lynx [options] [file or URL]
>
>  To see a full list of startup options, execute 'lynx -help2'
>
>  From within Lynx, use the '?' key to view an extensive users guide.
>  The 'o' key will bring up a set of user-definable preferences.
>
>  Many options have been compiled into your local installation of lynx by
>  your system administrator.  Some options for your local system are also
>  defined in a global lynx.cfg file that is checked by lynx upon startup.
>
>Check the online users guide ('?' key within Lynx) for answers to the most
>frequently asked questions and help with all aspects of Lynx usage.

My primary comment is: Great! Looks really good! I would suggest, though,
that -options or -long_help, or even -help_long would be better than -help2.

Also, during the last part of the 2-6FM era, Fote said he prefered leaving the
copyright notice vague as shown above. He was primary author and as such I
respected his preference, as did others. Since he is NOT the primary author
of the current code Klaus and others are working on, I respectfully submit
that

Lynx Version 2.7-dev
Copyright (c) 1979, Lynx Developers Group
Copyrighted under the terms of the GNU General Public License
<URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>

would be better. Anyone agree? (Fote, do you still wish to speak against this
idea?)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,