Re: LYNX-DEV Latest merged code package

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Latest merged code package
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 05:36:16 -0500

>A couple of other things I've noticed that the Win32 version needs are an
>awareness of DOS's funky backslash separator (file:///c:\test.html will
>crash lynx) as well as the ability to deal with just a filepath on the

Certainly things should be fixed so if someone makes the mistake of using
a backslash character in a path lynx doesn't crash.  However, I seem
to recall that the backslash is not a valid separator character in a URL.
Even on dos machines, to follow the standards one is supposed to use
a forward slash I believe.  However, perhaps lynx could just translate
those back slashs to forward slashs for the users.

>local file, and not go through the lookup process).  Also, I haven't
>figured out any way to define an editor on the options screen that will
>actually work (I've tried 'notepad', 'notepad.exe',
>'c:/windows/notepad.exe', etc.).

Does lynx need to somehow indicate the shell interpreter when it goes to
do this?  I know nothing much about windows, but I seem to recall in
another area I read (comp.lang.tcl), the users of Windows there have to
stick the Windows equivalent to /bin/sh before their commands (particularly
the built in ones like dir, etc.) to get them to work properly.

;