Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 14:02:37 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, root wrote:

> Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:
> >
> > Also, during the last part of the 2-6FM era, Fote said he prefered leaving
> > the copyright notice vague as shown above. He was primary author and as such
> > I respected his preference, as did others. Since he is NOT the primary
> > author of the current code Klaus and others are working on, I respectfully
> > submit that
> >
> > Lynx Version 2.7-dev
> > Copyright (c) 1979, Lynx Developers Group
> > Copyrighted under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> > <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>
> >
> > would be better. Anyone agree? (Fote, do you still wish to speak against
> > this
> > idea?)
> >
> > Scott
> >

> I would agree, except it should probably be:
>
> Lynx Version LYNX_VERSION
> Copyright (c) 1979, Lynx Developers Group
> Copyrighted under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>

This looks like wishful thinking:  There isn't any "Lynx Developers Group"
un-diffuse enough to hold a copyright.

The copyrights to individual contributions belong to individual
contributors,  who chose to allow use and distribution under the terms of
the GPL.

I don't think anything can be "copyrighted under the terms of the GNU GPL".
Somebody has a copyright to something or not under the terms of applicable
law.  A prgram can be _distributed_ "under the terms of the GNU GPL" - At
least that is the usage in the GNU GPL document (file about_lynx/COPYING).

That is my understanding, I Am Not A Lawyer.

I suggest asking Richard Stallman (or the FSF) for advice what such a
notice should say, if there has to be one at all.

Also compare what GNU programs do.  For example:

$ make --version
GNU Make version 3.75, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

      Klaus