LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:04:35 GMT

Lynx substitutes the HOME (or TEMP/TMP) variable's value for any
occurence of ~ - even though ~ is common in the DOS version of long
file names.

For example, I put Lynx in my Program Files directory.  In DOS terms,
this is c:\progra~1\lynx.  However, I set the LYNX_CFG variable to
c:\progra~1\lynx\lynx.cfg, but Lynx interprets it as
c:\prograC:\WINDOWS\TEMP1\lynx\lynx.cfg.

As a workaround, I tried a long filename and turned the space into
%20, but Lynx doesn't like that either.

There needs to be a way to refer to long filenames.  Either ~ should
only be recognized as $HOME in certain places - like after / or \ - or
URL escaping should be permitted in filenames used for start-up files.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA