Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:10:18 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Roger Hill wrote:

> One of the projects I have been contemplating is the consolidation of
> userdefs.h and lynx.cfg.  By this I mean that there are many options in
> userdefs that "can be overridden in lynx.cfg".  That being so, then to my
> mind there is no point in setting them in userdefs.
>
> So...I want to move all the overridable stuff to the end of userdefs, and
> maybe concentrate the stuff that HAS to be set in userdefs to the top.

Ok, much of this has been addressed by others, so I won't comment further.

> Three questions...
>
> 1. is this a sensible idea?

Reorganizing stuff MIGHT be sensible, but it seems pretty sensible now
with the must change, check, and only change if you know what's going on
and then subdivided within that by VMS and UNIX.

> 2. if so, is the order of options in userdefs significant?

No, order has nothing to do unless multiply defined... (see below)

> 3. if an option is multiply defined in userdefs (by accident, say), which
>    one takes precedence, the first or the last?

The last will most likely take preference, but when you compile, the
pre-processor will usually spit out a warning like:

Warning: foo.h: 84 BAR was redifined.
         foo.h: 32 Location of previous definition.

The compiler flags and such might affect which definition it takes, but
I'm 90% sure that the last would override the first, and compiler flags
would just make a redefinition an error instead of a warning.