Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal

From: Robert Bonomi
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:29:02 -0600 (CST)

+ From: address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal))
+ Sender: address@hidden
+
+ Mike Brown <address@hidden> writes:
+ >
+ >OK, taking into consideration the feedback so far, there is interest in
+ >making the 'lynx -help' output fit within a 24x80 screen, with a less
+ >obvious command-line option to bring up the full list.  I agree with this
+ >idea.  Here is a draft of what I think the one-screen page should be. It
+ >starts with the 'lynx -version' output.  Comments/suggestions welcome.
+ >
+ >Lynx Version 2.7
+ >(c)1997 GNU General Public License
+ ><URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>
+ >
+ >Lynx is a fully-featured World Wide Web (WWW) client for users running
+ >cursor-addressable, character-cell display devices (e.g., vt100 terminals
+ >or emulators, or any other "curses-oriented" displays).
+ >
+ >USAGE:  lynx [options] [file or URL]
+ >
+ >  To see a full list of startup options, execute 'lynx -help2'
+ >
+ >  From within Lynx, use the '?' key to view an extensive users guide.
+ >  The 'o' key will bring up a set of user-definable preferences.
+ >
+ >  Many options have been compiled into your local installation of lynx by
+ >  your system administrator.  Some options for your local system are also
+ >  defined in a global lynx.cfg file that is checked by lynx upon startup.
+ >
+ >Check the online users guide ('?' key within Lynx) for answers to the most
+ >frequently asked questions and help with all aspects of Lynx usage.
+
+ My primary comment is: Great! Looks really good! I would suggest, though,
+ that -options or -long_help, or even -help_long would be better than -help2.
+
+ Also, during the last part of the 2-6FM era, Fote said he prefered leaving the
+ copyright notice vague as shown above. He was primary author and as such I
+ respected his preference, as did others. Since he is NOT the primary author
+ of the current code Klaus and others are working on, I respectfully submit
+ that
+
+ Lynx Version 2.7-dev
+ Copyright (c) 1979, Lynx Developers Group
+ Copyrighted under the terms of the GNU General Public License
+ <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>
+
+ would be better. Anyone agree? (Fote, do you still wish to speak against this
+ idea?)
+

Depends on what you mean by 'better'.  It is *INACCURATE*.

  1) The 'base code' is _still_ "owned" by UKANS
         This fact must be acknowledged.
  2) There is _no_such_legal_entity_ as "Lynx Developers Group".
         It is a *casual* association of a number of people, but it has
         -no- legal standing to 'own' anything.
  3) "copyrighted under the terms of the GNU GPL" is _nonsense_.

Works are either "in the public domain", or *someone* (a legally-recognized
"person") owns the copyright on it.

If the work is "in the public domain", anyone can do *anything* with it, and
the matter of the GPL is moot.  Thus copyright must be maintained. (Note:
this is "not a problem", since, under modern law, *everything* is copyrighted
unless that protection is expressly waived.)

A "legally accurate" notice would have to read something like:

  Lynx Version 2.7-dev
  Released for public use under the terms of the GNU General Public License
  portions Copyright (c) 1994-7, FM
        {similiar lines naming other _major_ contributors}
  portions Copyright (c) 1993,1995, University of Kansas
  <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>

;
;