Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV one-screen lynx -help page proposal
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:22:25 +0900 (JST)

> + Also, during the last part of the 2-6FM era, Fote said he prefered leaving
> the
> + copyright notice vague as shown above. He was primary author and as such I

Not `vague'; perhaps overly condensed.  Some of us, including myself, need to
explained about copyright and licensing of Lynx.

>   1) The 'base code' is _still_ "owned" by UKANS
>        This fact must be acknowledged.
>   2) There is _no_such_legal_entity_ as "Lynx Developers Group".
>        It is a *casual* association of a number of people, but it has
>        -no- legal standing to 'own' anything.
>   3) "copyrighted under the terms of the GNU GPL" is _nonsense_.

Bit blunt, but sensible enough.

> A "legally accurate" notice would have to read something like:
>
>   Lynx Version 2.7-dev
>   Released for public use under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>   portions Copyright (c) 1994-7, FM
>       {similiar lines naming other _major_ contributors}
                                     ^^^^^^^
>   portions Copyright (c) 1993,1995, University of Kansas
>   <URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>

This is a bummer because who decides what is major or not.  CJK support
(Thanks, Takuya!) is major to me, but 'lot-a-folks couldn't care less.

Anything wrong with Dan's one-liner?  The worst you'll have is people who
didn't read the documentation with the distribution writing to find out
if it's under a GNU _license_ or not, but we get those from time to time
anyway.

Well, not even $0.02.

__Henry
;