Re: LYNX-DEV Copyright statement

From: Glenn E. Thobe
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Copyright statement
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:27:02 -0800 (PST)

The point is that "(C)" is just three ASCII characters which suggest
but do not replace the actual copyright graphic, thus the actual word
must be used.  A lot of this confusion about copyright notices can be
resolved by consulting the Copyright Myths FAQ posted to news.answers:

    Archive-name: law/copyright/myths/part1
    Last-change: 16 Oct 1995 by address@hidden (Mark Moraes)
    Changes-posted-to: news.misc,news.answers

                    10 Big Myths about copyright explained
                            By Brad Templeton

It may be obtained via FTP from rtfm.mit.edu in
pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/law/copyright/faq.

Quoting from the above:

        The correct form for a notice is:
                "Copyright <dates> by <author/owner>"
        You can use C in a circle instead of "Copyright" but "(C)"
        has never been given legal force.  The phrase "All Rights
        Reserved" used to be required in some nations but is now
        not needed.

-Glenn Thobe <address@hidden>

> Dan Strychalski <address@hidden> wrote --

> >> Why no `(C)'? To have legal force, the term must be either spelled out in
> >> full or represented by a *capital* _C_ fully enclosed in a _circle_.
> I got my information in writing from a US-American lawyer I worked with.
>
> The University of Chicago _Manual of Style_ states that printing both
> the word and the symbol is redundant and only wastes space; either one

> Dan Strychalski
> address@hidden
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

;
;