Re: LYNX-DEV Yahoo search: Alta Vista query help (fwd)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Yahoo search: Alta Vista query help (fwd)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:14:50 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Jeff D. Doran (JDD(Jeff))" <address@hidden>
  Subject: LYNX-DEV Yahoo search: Alta Vista query help (fwd)

  I can't figure out how this bug is happening, so I'm not sure
  where to send the bug report (after my signature is what I sent
  to address@hidden).

I think that you have enough evidence to move Lynx off the primary
suspects list:  The page you got has text that says "Displaying
matches 1-4" and yet what it generates as the link for "next 20"
has a parameter "b=21" directing the next page to start at 21.
This sounds like a logic problem on the server side.  Of course,
"on the server side" here includes the Yahoo gateway and the
Alta Vista server.

Why sasquatch triggers this is known only to the bug, at the
moment.

Unless inspection of the HTML source of the page (with four hits)
reveals something twisted, I think that you have cleared Lynx.

Diagnosis has got to be done from Sasquatch, because that is
the only site known to exhibit this problem.

You may be able to help Yahoo/Alta_Vista find their bug by the
output of running Lynx in trace mode.

Best of luck,

--
Al Gilman