Re: LYNX-DEV RE: Compiling Lynx2.7 with slang on UnixWare

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RE: Compiling Lynx2.7 with slang on UnixWare
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:52:03 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Jason "PsychoSy" Sizemore wrote:

>         install -c -s -m 555 lynx /home/Titus/local/bin/lynx
> UX:strip: ERROR: /home/Titus/local/bin/lynx: cannot open file for writing
> I checked the directories and the Executable is there, however I do not
> understand the strip error as above. Is this ok or should I chmod the
> file that cannot be opened for writing??

I think Larry probably has it right when he says the 555 is the problem.
755 should be the normal mode.  Strip just pulls out the debugging info.
You can do it manually with 'strip lynx' in the directory with the
executable.  Since we are compiling it without the extra debugging info
'-g', it's not such a big deal, the my HP-UX binaries tend to be about
900k before and 600k after, and my Linux binaries are about 600k before
and 500k after.