Re: LYNX-DEV Copyright statement

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Copyright statement
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:48:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> I am assuming that we achieve a reasonable stab at a statement that
> works for the Berne convention countries and .za too in the
> display triggered by 'lynx -version'.

> The damage caused by "unauthorized" copying of a lynx binary is...?

You can cause a lot of damage by making unauthorized changes (e.g. spawing
"rm -r"), still calling it lynx, and letting it loose.

You can also "sell" the program as if it was something you did for lots
of money without any value added or attribution.

The conditions of the copyright are general redistributability, and
complete lack of warranty.  The latter might be important if lynx was used
to introduce viri or trojan horses and someone wanted to recover damages
from the Lynx authors.

(Not a lawyer, but wanted to point these out)

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;