Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 12:34:21 -0500 (EST)

970309 I wrote:
> > may i repeat my previous request?
> > i'm not a sysadmin & install Lynx for my own use only in my own directory.
> > most of the  > 1000  lines in the 2 files are irrelevant to users like me:
> > eg security, anonymous users, directory editing.
> >
> > could userdefs & cfg be arranged to present FIRST those options
> > which everyone must decide on -- eg numbered links -- ,
> > and THEN go on to those which concern sysadmins installing Lynx
> > on a multi-user system?

970309 Hynek Med replied:
> Well, I'd speak for some reorganizing of userdefs.h, too.
> Things I set in userdefs.h, and would like to move in front of the file,
> are DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE & the domain prefixes/suffixes list.

both these affect individuals & sysadmins, so should be in Part I.

> Do we agree on what's important, or shall we end up saying
> everything is important for somebody, so we can't do any reorganization?

if we start by recognising the fundamental distinction
-- IMHO not recognised nearly clearly enough by Lynx-Dev'ers --
between the individual who wants Lynx for his/her own use
& the sysadmin who is making it available to a community of users,
then there should be no problem: everything the individual wants will also
be of interest to the community, but all the security/anonymity/etc stuff
can be left to Part II of the file clearly marked for sysadmins only.

and while we're on the subject, how much smaller would Lynx be
if there were a reduced version omitting security/anonymity/etc
from the code altogether?  isn't that an important direction in which to move?
the fact that Lynx was originally developed for multi-user systems
doesn't mean that's where its future lies.

;