Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Userdefs.h and Lynx.cfg consolidation
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 19:25:01 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Philip Webb wrote:

> > Well, I'd speak for some reorganizing of userdefs.h, too.
> > Things I set in userdefs.h, and would like to move in front of the file,
> > are DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE & the domain prefixes/suffixes list.
>
> both these affect individuals & sysadmins, so should be in Part I.

Oh, I forgot one more thing - the time delays for messages - INFOSECS,
ALERTSECS etc..

> and while we're on the subject, how much smaller would Lynx be
> if there were a reduced version omitting security/anonymity/etc
> from the code altogether?  isn't that an important direction in which to move?
> the fact that Lynx was originally developed for multi-user systems
> doesn't mean that's where its future lies.

Well, I don't think it would be that much smaller.. IMHO, it's not worth
the work with ifdef-ing the anonymous stuff..

BTW, what do you mean by security? From lynx you can do what you can do
from your shell account, the only trouble with security is not to let the
anonymous do what he wants (i.e. gain the shell/read local files etc.).
I can't think of any security things that could be left our of lynx at
this moment.. Can you give me an example?

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;