Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:14:02 -0500 (EST)

> This points up one thing that remains a problem with staying up to date
> with lynx. It is a considerable hassle to go in and modify all the
> settings for a specific site, and then, a week later, cause something
> else has changed in userdefs.h, have to do it again. Mostly, my changes
> are things like LOCAL_DOMAIN, HELPFILE and such. Is there an easy way
> to automate such?
some programs (e.g., c2man) create a user-configuration file that's not
part of the release.  alternatively, we could make autoconf store all of
the parameters in config.cache (but I don't think that would be flexible
enough).  probably should make the configure script create the user-defs
file if it doesn't exist, otherwise leave it alone (some of these
parameters should be deduced by the configure-script, but not all).

> One thing that needs changing in the auto version is LYNX_VERSION
> which should be changed from "2.7wb+ct-0.4" to "2.7wb+ct-0.4+auto" or
> some such.
ok (I didn't notice that, but will keep it in mind for subsequent patches)

> I can get the auto verion to work by using -cfg to specify the lynx.cfg
> that came with it, but otherwise it gives the error:
>
> Syntax Error parsing COLOR in configuration file:
> The line must be of the form:
> Like I say, 2-7 and 2-6 both work with this configuration. Maybe it has
> something wrong with the slang support in this auot-config version.
I'll check - it could be due to the SVr4 curses/color portion of my patch.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden