Re: LYNX-DEV isolating CHANGES posts

From: root
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV isolating CHANGES posts
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 18:33:07 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman wrote:

>From: Russell McOrmond <address@hidden>

[...]
>>> I see more trouble getting people to use it than keeping people from
>>> abusing it, myself.
>
>>     I guess I'm just looking at my Email box and at the number of SPAM
>>   messages I, and the various lists I subscribe to, receive.  SPAM
>>   filtering has become an almost full-time job.
>
> Strangely enough, lynx-dev has been running open and we get some junk
> posts from people who can't find ^G after they have stumbled into
> send-a-comment mode; but the spam level has been real low.
>
> So I don't think we need to be in a hurry to password protect
> lynx-announce however it gets mechanized.
>
> Even if we do eventually need to restrict posting to the
> -announce list, the authorized posters don't need to mess with
> passwords.  Bob can set the list to be members-only posting and
> subscriptions-by-approval and the authorized posters will be all
> that gets through Majordomo.

Q: Why subscriptions-by-approval?
I: Append to bottom:
;
;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-announce" (without
;                  the quotation marks) on a line by itself.
; To DOWNLOAD:     Look at http://www.foo.com/asdf/jikl, or
;                  ftp to ftp.foo.com in the /asdf/jikl dir-
;                  ectory.
Also, if possible, automaticly yank lines starting with >; or > ; to keep
people from getting a screen full of quoting of quoting of that message.
Also, the FTP site is DEFINATLY neccary.  Having a web page and a "mail me
with" would be even better, since you need a email progy to read that blurb
anyway.

   --- James

;