Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:10:24 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> You know, I really should have known better, but I had just replaced
> lynx.cfg and userdefs.h with my modified copies from 2-7 and so of
> course the wb+ct+auto code didn't work correctly. (well, it was after
> 1 am at the time.) I have fixed userdefs.h and am compiling now.
>
> This points up one thing that remains a problem with staying up to date
> with lynx. It is a considerable hassle to go in and modify all the
> settings for a specific site, and then, a week later, cause something
> else has changed in userdefs.h, have to do it again. Mostly, my changes
> are things like LOCAL_DOMAIN, HELPFILE and such. Is there an easy way
> to automate such?

I assume the autoconfig folks will eventuall want to tackle these things,
but for now are busy getting the sytem dependency stuff right.
(I haven't downloaded or compiled the packet yet, but looked at some
of the code changes.  By the way Thomas, and/or Jim, thanks for cleaning
up some of the mess I left a little bit... like doing the K&R
compatibility macros in some files where I had neglected it.)

Jim and Thomas, can you clarify the status of the .zip file at slcc:

- Is it supposed to work an Unix system even without running ./configure
- Should things on non-Unix system be able to use it as before
  (as far as your changes go),  and should they try it?

I am not sure what happens on VMS, as far as the chartrans changes go.
The intention is that (1) things should work as before if not defining
-DEXP_CHARTRANS, and (2) things should work with -DEXP_CHARTRANS
once someone changes the MAKE procedure to descend into the src/chrtrans
directory and compile the .tbl files there (or (2a) by just doing things
in src/chrtrans maunually).  But neither is tested AFAIK.

> One thing that needs changing in the auto version is LYNX_VERSION
> which should be changed from "2.7wb+ct-0.4" to "2.7wb+ct-0.4+auto" or
> some such.

My idea was to call the next step 2.7ac-0.<n> instead of 2.7wb+ct+ac-0.<n>,
because it seems that all the autoconfig stuff will be based on wb+ct;
so it would be redundant to have all that info in the string.  But that's
just for my own use in filenames etc., nobody has to go with that as a
LYNX_VERSION string.

> OK, the compile completed correctly and the resulting Lynx almost works
> correctly. The one problem is kind of odd. I have some custom colors
> defined at the end of my lynx.cfg. This works fine with 2-6 and 2-7, but
> makes 2-7wb+ct-0.4+auto croak. These lines are:
>
> COLOR:0:black:lightgray
> # bold
> COLOR:1:blue:white
> # reverse (status bar)
> COLOR:2:white:black
> # bold reverse
> COLOR:3:blue:white
> # underline
> COLOR:4:black:white
> # bold underline
> COLOR:5:blue:white
> # reverse underline (current link)
> COLOR:6:white:blue
> # reverse underline bold
> COLOR:7:black:red

I would try to comment them out step by step, one at a time, to see
whether it is a specific one of those lines that creates problems.

  Klaus

;
;