Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:59:21 -0500 (EST)

> Jim and Thomas, can you clarify the status of the .zip file at slcc:
>
> - Is it supposed to work an Unix system even without running ./configure
yes.  I'm attempting to leave the original build mechanism intact until
the replacement is complete.  (I may accidentally break something by moving
ifdef's around, as in tcp.h, but that's not intentional).

> - Should things on non-Unix system be able to use it as before
>   (as far as your changes go),  and should they try it?
right.  There shouldn't be any impact.

> I am not sure what happens on VMS, as far as the chartrans changes go.
> The intention is that (1) things should work as before if not defining
> -DEXP_CHARTRANS, and (2) things should work with -DEXP_CHARTRANS
> once someone changes the MAKE procedure to descend into the src/chrtrans
> directory and compile the .tbl files there (or (2a) by just doing things
> in src/chrtrans maunually).  But neither is tested AFAIK.
right.  I fixed some of the places where _not_ defining EXP_CHARTRANS
causes problems (but not all -- my main goal was to integrate my changes).
I did the ARGS & PARAMS stuff, to make it compile on SunOS 4.x with K&R C,
since I do test-builds where possible with the vendor's compiler.

> > # reverse underline bold
> > COLOR:7:black:red
>
> I would try to comment them out step by step, one at a time, to see
> whether it is a specific one of those lines that creates problems.
It's my logic in lynx_chg_color().  The immediate cause of the message is
restricting bg to less than 8.  SVr4 curses defines 8 colors, as does the
terminal spec ISO 6429 - slang takes liberties with that which I attempt to
model, but I didn't test a "white" background (bright backgrounds are a special
case which apparently translate only in conjunction with other attributes).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden