Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:57:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Regarding the user-agent string and the version, how about if we change the
> code to set the user agent from the version and add a patch or development
> variable that will be reported in -version output. Then drop the version
> string back to Lynx 2.7 and set the patch string to ac1 or some such.
> (actually, assuming incorporation of Fote's latest bug fixes and any updates
> to Win32, CharTrans or AutoConf, it should probably be ac1.1 or ac2).

Sounds rational to me that the version string sent to servers is vanilla.
I don't know a wise -version string -- I am game for anything.

> I will be more than happy to look into making these changes if someone can
> point me to the appropriate code (though I'll look for myself of course),
> and there is a consensus about this.

From userdefs.h:

#define LYNX_VERSION "2.7wb+ct-0.4"

That will bring it back to normal.  It is my opinion that there should be
a more dev type name in FatalProblem() from LYMain.c and also the
following snippit also from LYMain.c:

    } else if (strncmp(argv[0], "-version", 8) == 0) {
        printf("\n%s Version %s\n(c)1997 GNU General Public License\n\
<URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>\n\n",
                LYNX_NAME, LYNX_VERSION);
        exit(0);

Wayne