Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx/MSIE denial-of-service

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx/MSIE denial-of-service
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:14:09 -0500

> though viewing a file of infinite length. This has caused a modem
> connection to drop using MSIE, and slowed a Linux system using lynx to a
> crawl due to exhaustion of memory. Both processes were aborted before any
> further damage was caused.

What is a file of 'infinite length'?  That's some disk drive I guess.
Or is it a broken cgi that just keeps going and going?

In any case, please _don't_ put arbitrary limits into lynx ; I would
just as soon see no limits put in myself and just have lynx stop when it
can't go any further.

Perhaps some limits could be conditionally compiled in for platforms which
don't do virtual memory as cleanly as others.
;