Re: LYNX-DEV Users reporting problems with v2.6 and v2.7

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Users reporting problems with v2.6 and v2.7
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:20:34 -0700

George,

The problem that users are seing since the installation of Lynx 2.6 and 2.7
is not a lynx but, but bad HTML. If you look at the source of the page at
www.mynet.net/~msanews/, you will find that the author has invalid markup
for comments. Each comment should start with "<!-- " and end with " -->",
but the page author is using a simple ">" to close the comments. By the
definition (DTD) of HTML, this does not end the comment, but leaves the
remainder of the page as one long comment. Lynx version 2.6 and 2.7 handle
comments the correct way, but have an option to handle them in an older,
less correct manor. While viewing the page, press the apostrophe (') key,
and lynx will toggle to the older, less correct comment parsing and show
the remainder of the page. The same effect can be obtained by starting lynx
with the "-historical" flag.

To obtain this behavior for lynx by default, uncomment (or add) the line in
the site's lynx.cfg (found at /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg on our site) that reads

HISTORICAL_COMMENTS:TRUE

Be warned, however that this causes Lynx to incorrectly terminate comments and
may cause problems on other pages. The best option is to ask the author of
www.mynet.net/~msanews/ to correctly terminate the comments on the page. That
way, all versions of lynx and other browsers should correctly display the
page.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,