Re: LYNX-DEV New development code

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New development code
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:28:40 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <address@hidden>

  On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

  >   I'll get going on a more complete INSTALL.autoconfigure doc.
  >   "INSTALLATION" should be replaced with a new doc based on configure.
  > What would you think of doing it in HTML?  I can see benefit from
  > having the helpfiles link to the Installation doc for more
  > information on things that vary between installations.

  I guess I was thinking of "INSTALL" being a doc to read before Lynx
  is running, so an HTML page would be premature.  I will write my
  stuff in troff macros, and run them through troff2html so that
  text, man pages and HTML are available.  I'm not so into GNU that
  I will do info or texinfo, though.

People may wish to read this document at different times and
under different circumstances.

        - to decide if it's worth the trouble to download it
        - the first time you Make it
        - when you upgrade, to reconstruct what you did the last time
        - etc.

There will always be those you want to serve that have no access
to a functioning web browser, but they are probably a minority of
your customers, by now.

In suggesting that the HTML form be the "source" form I was assuming
that lynx -dump or something like that would be used to extract a
plain-text version.  Probably also assuming that both the HTML and
text versions would be externalized at the distribution site, in
addition to including them in the .zip .

Sure, you should write in whatever environment you are most comfortable
in.  Much appreciate whatever you chose to do.

--
Al Gilman

;